Monday, April 16, 2007

Question Two Assignment

Question Two: Think about a time when tried to convince someone to change his or her mind. How did you go about it? Were you successful? Now think about a time when someone tried to get you to change your mind. What arguments did the person use? Was he or she successful?

It is part of human nature to convince a person on changing his or her opinion when one does not agree with another’s ideas or actions. Almost everyday people tend to give their opinion on a certain aspect and also try to change the opinion of others. Persuasion is the act to convince or seek to persuade. Argument is a process to support each others belief on an issue. Support is to the information to help argument. Persuasion, argument and support are three factors help convince on changing one own or another’s opinion. When I think about trying to change opinions of others I believe it is very important that the person persuading analyze the issue, areas of the issue to convince and then proposing the argument. The one time that I convinced that I remember is my father convincing me to change majors. Also the time that I remember convincing another was to persuade my friend to come to Lynn University.

The one thing that stands out when asking about a person that has convinced me to change my decision is my father convincing me to major in Biology rather then Business. For my whole life I have always wanted to grow up to become a business man, like my father. However, the one person that I have always looked at as a role model and hopefully follow his footsteps convinced me not too. My father character is pretty aggressive which helps me argue and persuade others. In the beginning of last year when I started filling out my applications I told him that I was going to major in business. Somehow over months he finally persuaded me to change majors. I can’t really remember his exact words however, I remember his ways he convinced me. He should me unsuccessful business men with high degree’s, such as master degree’s, and without a job. Though he used a harsh and aggressive way to express himself he had many supportive points. Now I am at Lynn University majoring in biology. So my father was successful in persuading me to change my decision.

Although I go almost everyday trying to change opinions of others, the one time that I really felt that my opinion actually persuade another was when I convinced a friend of mine to come with me to Lynn University. I have known this friend for almost twelve years, since kindergarten. After school was finished he was accepted in Paris at AUP. However, I really wanted him to come with me and I felt that it would much better for both of us if we went somewhere together. After days of persuading and convincing him, he decided to come. I think that I persuaded him more not by convincing him why to go Lynn University, however why not to study in Paris. Today, both of us are enrolled at Lynn University.

I have met many people in my life that either can argument or can not. Even though sometimes they may have good points to support there argument however cannot persuade. On the other hand there others that may have no support but still can argument and convince.

2 comments:

Benjaminhoffer said...

The summary in my opinion was not bad because it gave me a better understanding of how to convince someone by saying why to do something and then why not to do the other thing. You had a lot of repeated statments and with some work on connecting your statements you could master it. Overall it was a deeply thought of summary, Good work.

calberto06 said...

This summary is good. It was also a little along and does show a lot of repeats. But it shows a clear understanding and you seem to know what the topic is and how to show examples of it.